12 December 2009

The choppy waters of Babinda Creek

Okay so now I'm going to try that pic a week thing since I can't seem to stick to a pic a day. I decided to go back to the very beginning of my photostream at Flickr and pick out my favorite picture from the first week.

What is this image of you ask? Babinda Creek. Where is Babinda Creek you ask? Queensland, Australia. :)

In 2008 I took the trip of a lifetime. I spent months and months planning the vacation, went through many doubts and frustrations, did A LOT of research, made a lot of reservations and dished out a rather large sum of money to take the trip of a lifetime. In so doing I managed to meet at least FOUR of my life goals. :)

I have a list of life goals...I think most people do and I am sorely lacking in having met many of them. Well in 2008 I met four of them. I boarded a plane and traveled to the other side of the world to spend three weeks in beautiful Queensland. I had a blast!

This particular photo was taken the last week I was in Australia. I was staying at a lovely Bed and Breakfast on the outskirts of Cairns called Kooka's. While there I had asked for some ideas of where to go. One of the places I learned about on my many visits to the visitors centers all over this country was the Babinda Boulders. I was told it was something to be seen.

This creek is apparently responsible for many a death. There is also a tragic story about an Aboriginal girl who dove into the treacherous waters of this creek and killed herself when her fellow tribesmen attempted to drag her away from her one true love. Apparently he belonged to a rival tribe. The girl ran off to be with him. She was captured by her own tribe and when they attempted to take her back to the village she broke free of their holds and jumped into Babinda Creek. In her wake two huge boulders shot up into the sky and stand in the midst of this creek. They say the boulders are the remains of the girl who tragically killed herself here all those years ago. They also say that her spirit is known to haunt these waters and that she calls to visitors from near and far luring them to join her among the jagged rocks.

When I took this photograph my aim was to capture the crashing waters so that I could show how fast and choppy they are here. I was also intrigued by the green blue tint of the water and the whiteness cast about from the waves themselves. I'm glad I traveled to this creek to behold with my own eyes this awesome force of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment